Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit)

Over the past year, we’ve been trialling a beta of Raspberry Pi OS in glorious 64-bit. Now it’s time to open it up to a wider audience.

raspberry pi os 64-bit

The ARMv8-A architecture, which encompasses the 64-bit AArch64 architecture and associated A64 instruction set, was first introduced into the Raspberry Pi line with Raspberry Pi 3 in 2016. From that point on, it has been possible to run a full 64-bit operating system on our flagship products, and many third-party operating systems are available. However, we have continued to build our Raspberry Pi OS releases on the 32-bit Raspbian platform, aiming to maximise compatibility between devices and to avoid customer confusion.

ProductProcessorARM coreDebian/Raspbian ARM
port (maximum)
Architecture
width
Raspberry Pi 1BCM2835ARM1176 arm6hf32 bit
Raspberry Pi 2BCM2836Cortex-A7armhf32 bit
Raspberry Pi ZeroBCM2835ARM1176arm6hf32 bit
Raspberry Pi Zero 2BCM2710Cortex-A53arm6464 bit
Raspberry Pi 3BCM2710Cortex-A53arm6464 bit
Raspberry Pi 4BCM2711Cortex-A72arm6464 bit

As you can see from the table above, it is easy to be confused about which products will support which Debian/Raspbian ports. Using arm6hf (Raspbian’s derivative of armhf with ARMv7-only instructions removed but floating-point instructions retained) provides us with an operating system which will run on every device we have ever manufactured, all the way back to 2011.

But we’ve come to realise that there are reasons to choose a 64-bit operating system over a 32-bit one. Compatibility is a key concern: many closed-source applications are only available for arm64, and open-source ones aren’t fully optimised for the armhf port. Beyond that there are some performance benefits intrinsic to the A64 instruction set: today, these are most visible in benchmarks, but the assumption is that these will feed through into real-world application performance in the future.

A more theoretical concern is that 32-bit pointers only allow you to address 4GB of memory. On Raspberry Pi 4, we use the ARM Large Physical Address Extension (LPAE) to access up to 8GB of memory, subject to the constraint that any process is limited to accessing 3GB (we reserve the top 1GB of the virtual address space for the kernel). Very few processes require more memory than this: happily Chromium, which is probably the most memory-intensive application in Raspberry Pi OS, spawns a process per tab. But some use cases will benefit from being able to allocate the entire memory of an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 from a single process.

The 64-bit version of Chromium, installed by default, has no version of the WidevineCDM library and therefore, it is not possible to play streaming media such as Netflix or Disney+.  To instead choose the 32-bit version just do the following within a terminal window:

sudo apt install chromium-browser:armhf libwidevinecdm0

To return to the 64-bit version

sudo apt install chromium-browser:arm64 libwidevinecdm0-

So, head to the downloads page and grab your copy of 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS today. Let us know in the comments if your use case benefits (or suffers!) from the move to 64-bit.

Thank you! My use case is __uint128_t which is not available on 32-bit systems so yes, I’ll benefit.

Reply to Anton

Woah! That’s a big announcement. I’m so happy that Pi OS 64 bit is now official

Reply to Tejas

It’s based on your own repo or just debian repo like before?? There isn’t enough info for such announcements…

Reply to Salvador Liébana

The upstream of the 32bit OS is Raspbian (which is just a rebuild of Debian for ARM6 with hard float extensions). The upstream of the 64bit OS is Debian.

But both of them have our own sprinkled magic to make it Raspberry Pi OS.

Including hardware acceleration

Excellent work!
How does the video decoding work? Does it use the mmal decoder like the 32bit?

Reply to James Richmond

No, we don’t use the MMAL interface anymore, we use V4L2 – stateless for Chromium and VLC.

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

When will or does the 64-bit support the cameras (V2?) or NoIR versions? I notice the raspi-config still has no camera interface option.

The camera interface option was removed from raspi-config because the camera interface is now always enabled; there’s no need to turn it on any more.

I’ve been using 64 but for a while, because Elasticsearch does not have a supported 32 bit version for ARM (though it can be forced to work if the components are unpacked and installed manually). Also, I had at least one issue with 32 bit ints in PHP storing time stamps.

Reply to David Earl

Does the hardware acceleration work? The GitHub issue is still open. https://github.com/raspberrypi/Raspberry-Pi-OS-64bit/issues/52

Reply to Archisman Panigrahi

Video acceleration works through Chromium and VLC, GPU acceleration works through Mesa, the same as it does on the 32bit hardware

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Youtube will never work .
It falls back to cpu decoding
The drivers will never work with a web browser to ever get YouTube working

Reply to Phill michael

Hmm. I’m a dummy with all this but using twisteros YouTube streams fine with chromium and also the ap built in to twisteros. I will look I guess for twisteros in 64 bit I home soon.

Reply to Joe

On Chromium YouTube works fine, just tried playing some trailers in 1080p from youtube fullscreen and it’s good…

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Just want to congratulate you on the work you have done on Pi operating systems. The effort on optimisation is very much appreciated. I use the PiOS desktop on a very underpowered laptop and it is the best OS I have found (and I have tried alot) an especial “tip of the hat” goes to your extension of LXDE
Looking forward to install in 64 bit on my ZERO2 and PI4
Thanks again
d

Reply to Ric Colasanti

I’d suggest only the lite version on the Pi Zero 2, 512MB is very limiting for the 64bit desktop OS

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

I’ve also been using 64-bit for a while and see significant performance improvements. Use case is a SW codec for video streaming which heavily uses NEON intrinsics (the NewTek NDI SDK).

Reply to Charles Steinkuehler

Congratulations for this release !
I have been successfully testing the beta since the begining and it was already great.
Software support for the Pi is a valuable strength upon other SBC manufacturers, and this release is really a huge milestone.
Ironically, though, the Raspberry Pi OS released for celebrating the 10 years of the original Pi, can’t run on it ^^

Reply to Laurent

Hi, congrats on the release. If I had the x64 beta from December. What are the required steps to “update the os” to the stable one? I checked sources and sources.d and both are in bullseye. Also updated the firmware and that just jumped the kernel to .94. thanks in advance

Reply to Glas

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

This should get you to the same position assuming you started with the recent Bullseye release (in 64-bit)

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Can you install both 64 and 32 bit chromium and just switch between them? I’m sure you probably can, that it’d require extra configuration after the install to work, and I have better things to do with my time than fight a computer to give it basic functionality….

At this point I’m still not seeing a reason to once again try switching to 64bit. It was nothing less than a waste of time last I tried a few months ago, all I got out of it was anger… Constant crashes, dependency hell, and way too many of those crashes required re-imaging the disk bc they crashed so badly. I’m seriously glad I didn’t waste the money to buy an 8gb pi4, which was released just weeks after I finally bought a 4gb

I purposely waited as long as I did to get a pi4 bc I’ve been using them since the original b+ was released. I know it takes a while to get all the bugs worked out with each new release.

I’ve done enough beta testing in my life and was under the impression that 64bit was working when I bought it, not that it was still a beta back then. So it was a huge let down after spending all that money only to find out the apps I use weren’t gonna work with 64bit, which was the only reason I bought it

Honestly I’m kinda sick of raspberry pi’s, they can be great little devices for many projects. But for many projects people use them for, like the media server/NAS/etc I bought it for. They are so not worth it!

By the time you buy all the accessories, drives, hats, cords, etc, you may as well have gotten a cheap used desktop. No rats nest of wires, you can actually stream HD and even to more than one device at a time in a wider range of formats. Faster transfer rates on smb/nfs, a desktop could even be used as a desktop, which a pi is a horrible substitute for.

And that’s not even to mention that you just can’t buy them now, unless you’re able to pay greedy scalpers over inflated prices. Covid inflation was bad enough to deal with, I’m not paying $100 for a $15 SOC…

Reply to luckytriple6

Loving your optimistic takes on so many diverse points in your detailed post. It sounds like the Pi isn’t a great fit for you though.

Reply to Mark

Is there a way to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit without wiping out and starting again?

Reply to Mike

Yes, it’s called “cross grading”. But it can be very tricky to avoid all pitfalls. See https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading for the details.

Reply to Axel

So, crossgrading is possible, how about upgrading from lite to full. I’ve been playing with 64bit but have failed to get vnc working. A full desktop version might be better.

Reply to Phil

Crossgrading doesn’t really work…
It seemed like it was working, but I can’t find a way to upgrade to the dpkg:arm64

Reply to Gary Terry

LEEETS GO is it possible to update without data wipe ?

Reply to Ferreol

Yes it is *feasible* if one has the knowledge to deal with all the issues which this would cause, but in practical and sanity terms best to start afresh with a clean install.

Reply to MW

Is there anything in Raspberry Pi OS (or its repositories) that functions like Linux Mint’s “Backup Tool”? I’m just trying to figure out if there’s any program or application that would speed up the process of rebuilding my system (with all the programs I added, printer, scanner, config.txt tweaks, and so forth) to what it was before under the 32-bit system. I try to keep a record/journal of all that I’ve done, but it would be nice not to have to re-do it all manually. Esp. since I have three pi that might benefit from this (400, 3B+, and 3B).

Reply to Carl

dd command in every unix flavor OS (linux, macOs, all BSDs etc.)

Reply to Jozef Remen

Hey Carl,
Not sure if you’d think this was overkill, but longer term you might be interested in exploring tools like Ansible, since you can make your setup repeatable via scripts.

Of course, that doesn’t help you so much with recreating your existing setup, but maybe you can get some of the way using one or both of these:
1. Use your bash history – I’d be tempted to copy it to a fresh file and then cut it down to the steps that were necessary and worked. That can then be used to make a start with Ansible or if you want to defer that, just paste the commands that look relevent. In some cases, eg with config changes to files, you won’t see what was changed from a command to open your editor, but at least you’ll know the files you may have updated so you can compare those.
2. If you’re mainly focused on the packages, then you can use the sort of techniques shown here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/41277/146316
but you’ll still potentially need to make config changes (so might combine with 1 above)

Point 2 should be somewhat reliable even if you did configuration via gui tools, but point 1 is not going to pick up any gui based editing of config.

Reply to Neil Stoker

I’d agree with Neil’s post about Ansible, all the simple stuff, automated, all I do is boot once, logon, change the name, change the password, reboot. Then ssh-copy-id from my Ansible control machine [another Pi, or any other flavour of Linux] and then run a nested set of commands which:
Fixes DNS resolution, sets the proxies, creates mount points, entries in fstab, sets PROMPT_COMMAND, sets the history file size, that sort of thing. Takes about a minute to configure after rebooting.

Reply to Roger Whiteley

I’d suggest provisioning your systems with your custom Ansible playbook, works like a charm and saves a ton of time.

Reply to dzhi

My database uses much ram…. (Influxdb)

My server running the 64Bit Beta for a while 🚜

Reply to JH B

Finally! This is exciting news, and while I’m guessing (like with the libcamera change recently) it will cause a bit of short-term strife for some users (especially on older boards), this is a great long-term improvement so many users don’t have to spend as much time trying to get newer software working on ancient 32-bit architectures.

Thanks for the tireless work getting Pi OS to be as transparent to run on Raspberry Pis as possible. The efforts are often less appreciated, but go far in recommending Pis vs other SBCs.

Reply to Jeff Geerling

I took a look at the PiOs 64-bit and it works just fine out of the box. It even finds my household server automatically. The issue I have is that the drm fix for Netflix, etc., is a total flop. It doesn’t work. Period.

I’d like to know when a fix will be universally available so that I can run streaming entertainment from the pi using Ubuntu.

My current desktop, believe it or not, is a RPi4B-4GB in an Argonone M.2 case with a 240GB M.2 usb drive. I have it overclocked to a modest 1.8Ghz and like it so much that I’m writing this comment with it and use it as my daily desktop driver.

One caveat about the M.2 is that it only loads correctly from the RPi Imager software using OSes that are part of the official library. Outside packages do not work, even though the Imager can load an out of library OS. Thanks for all you do and share! Cheers!

Reply to Steve

if this was just released today, why have the 64bit binaries on the download site say the last update is the 28th of January?

Reply to os2mac

Presumably just final QC after code freeze on 28/1, etc. I remember the same question being asked re bullseye release date vs blog.

Reply to Alan

Gordon & Team: Thank you so much for all your hard work to bring the 64 bit version to release!

Reply to AgrajagCO

As a macOs user used to 64 bit I immediately used spare SSD to install 64 bit raspberry pi os Lite and then via KIAUH script klipper and fluiddpi. All went well and without any issues. I will copy all my klipper configs to 64 bit os tomorrow and will see how it goes with my Ender 5 Plus with SKR 1.4 board. Not that it worked bad previously, but heck, why not?

Reply to Jozef Remen

I’ve been using the 64 bit beta of bullseye on my Pi4 8gb. Should I just update or do a fresh install?

Reply to CJ

According to an above post. Apt update, apt upgrade gets you there.

Reply to rclark

Thanks rclark. I’ll do both and let the group know.

Reply to CJ

According to the Official Documents it should be:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

The best feature of RPiOS ARM64 which is based of Debian Bullseye ARM64 (nothing to do with Raspbian whatsoever) is that Debian Backports are compatible.

Reply to MW

This is a great step. One thing that was missing from the beta is Mathematica. Is that back for this release? Thanks.

Reply to Ed

No, currently that is available on the 32-bit OS. Will ask about supporting 64-bit

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Thanks. I look very much forward to running that on the 64-bit OS. For me, it really is the main reason to install the desktop version of RPiOS instead of the Lite version.

Reply to Ed

Mathematica is important to my use case and a major selling point in certain educational markets and others. Thanks for checking whether Mathematica can be made available on the 64-bit OS. It appears 64-bit is the way of the future desktop and it would be good to keep Mathematica.

Reply to Eric Olson

Ummm so when I tried to install it I cannot use multiple desktops (It immediately goes into an inescapable brown screen), I think this is to do with the weird new window manager. Can you please tell me how to use OpenBox and ignore using Mutter or whatever as it’s very annoying how the windows tear when you move them, as well as the desktop issue. Please respond, as I would LOVE to uses 64bit but cannot under this weird problem.

Reply to ZipperOS

I am also already using 32bit Bullseye with no problem at all WITHOUT the Mutter window thing.

Reply to ZipperOS

I’ve been running the beta PI OS 64 since it became known. It has been solid for my playing around on a RPI4 4GB. Never crashed. Of course I run it headless and just SSH in and SFTP to transfer files. Currently it is running off a USB connected SSD. Nice to see PI OS 64bit finally released officially. I really don’t have a ‘need’ for 64bits other than using it to program in 64bit assembly for fun. I think, for now, I’ll just run it on my RPI4s and CM4 modules.

Reply to rclark

Coming from beta is an rpi-update recommended?

Reply to Jno

Don’t forget that the later Raspberry Pi 2 (v1.2) uses the same CPU as the Raspberry Pi 3, only slightly downclocked. There’s no reason the Pi 2 v1.2 shouldn’t be able to run the 64 bit version (download page doesn’t list it as compatible).
I’d test it, but all my 2s are v1.0, so the earlier chip listed above.

Reply to K

Yes the version 1.2 does run ARM64 OSes, though I believe not many were sold and they utilise the original BCM2837 SoC.

Reply to MW

Wasmer on Pi let’s gooooo

Reply to Gator

rasp 4B not support yet?

Reply to julia wel

I very much hope that widevine’s problems will be resolved in the future.

Reply to seki

Contact Google who are the developers.

Reply to MW

Can we now install PIXEL on Ubuntu 64?
thnx

Reply to ihaar

PIXEL no longer exists so unlikely compatible with any post 2018 Operating System.

Reply to MW

Ok. No chance to get same desktop environment on ubuntu or debian?
(I really like how it looks and useful on my home pasberry and looking a way to get the same on my vps)

Reply to ihaar

The LXDE based Desktop Environment is now called “Raspberry Pi Desktop” on all releases of Raspberry Pi Operating Systems (ARMHF / ARM64 / i386) with Desktop.

All code is on GitHub……..

Reply to MW

Ok. Thank you so much!

How do I install Mathematica on 64-bit Pi OS?

Reply to Denny Chen

Not yet; see my question above with answer by Gordon. (Search the page for Mathematica, use Ctrl-F or Cmd-F.)

Reply to Ed

Is it possible to install KODI without having to build it myself?

Got a Zero 2 W that i wanted to use for KODI but Libreelec is still struggling to support this new hardware (problems with the wifi module i think).

Reply to SamVimes

Have you tried

sudo apt install kodi

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Congrats on the release. Is wiringPi library compatible with it, i.e. works? I loosely remember that its author has given up on maintaining it, not recognizing 8GB RPI 4B for example.

Reply to CooliPi

Liz Upton

I’m afraid I don’t know; we don’t support it (it’s nothing to do with us; it’s a third-party library). I don’t think its original author is still maintaining it, so my guess is that no, it won’t work for you.

Reply to Liz Upton

raspberry 64 stable is very good , 1 speed boost 2.improve video Playback

Reply to harwinder singh

Do I need to format my SD card and download the 64-bit OS to it, or is there an upgrade path for a 4 from 32-bit?

Reply to Chris

Yes you can update from 32to 64 but it is a long and winding road with many pitfalls, see the Forum as been discussed.

Best grab a spare SD Card start afresh..

Reply to MW

It takes less than 10 min for a fresh install. Do not waste time upgrading.

Reply to Ravi Joshi

Hello, it means that if I have a 64-bit version of Raspberry OS, I can download programs for Debian OHello, does this mean that if I have a 64-bit version of Raspberry OS, I can download programs for Debian OS 64-bit “for Arm64”?

Reply to Vít Turčin

Raspberry Pi ARM64 Operating System is based of Debian Bullseye ARM64 Operating System.

Reply to MW

This sounds great! Any chance that we can get an updated version of the Raspberry Pi OS for Desktop computers? Maybe a 64bit version? I like to use mine as a live USB for projects on the go but a 64bit option for me would make it better on some devices.

Reply to Daniel

You should be able to open “Recommended Software” and install anything else you need from the Desktop version

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Thank You, Gordon, your team and Rpi for excellent work.
I’ve been using 64bit Beta for almost two years now, and I like it. I needed 64 bit for lxc & docker.

Reply to Ravi Joshi

Not 100% sure this is 64-bit related (because directly from Debian instead of via Raspbian), or it’s Buster/Bullseye, but I had trouble getting my IQaudIO card working on the new 64-bit Lite release. Previous installations were all Buster where this didn’t pop up. Trouble is the vc4hdmi sound output is always enabled as the default output (card 0) despite disabling “dtoverlay=audio=on” in /boot/config.txt. I tried both commenting and changing to “off”. The solution is to comment out the KMS driver: “#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d” and reboot, and then the sound HAT is the only remaining card.

What are the other implications of disabling that vc4 line? For me nothing, I think, because I use this Pi headless. Is there a better solution to make the IQaudIO card the default (card 0) output? Thanks.

Reply to Ed

Not the place for logging issues, please go to the github issues. This sounds kernel related, so github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

great news people, the difference in performance in noticeable, now what we need is better gpu performance and a opencl implementation for the pi. PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Reply to Hector Gonzalez

I tried the 64-bit new version for a day, and I liked that it runs much faster, specially when installing applications. But a program that I use a lot (CubicSDR) runs better on the 32-bit version. Mainly “aesthetic” but nonetheless. For example, the frequency selector jumps in steps of two when you scroll with your mouse, and the fonts for the menues in the lower left corner (start/stop recording) are white on a light gray background, which are very difficult to read. With the 32-bit version I don’t have these problems.
And one question: is it possible to get the kernel version and the debian version of the raspberry pi OS that I am using? Perhaps a terminal command for that? Thanks!

Reply to Rick M.

uname -a
cat /etc/debian_version

Reply to Ed

Thank you, Ed. Very useful.

Reply to rick

Yeah great decision ! , I’ve used the 64bit beta version with happiness since 2 years without any problems.(almost, only exception is that the picamera interface is not available in 64 bits) will it be now ? I’ve understood that the new lib-camera integration is done to be compatible with 64 bits version, right ? but now in bulls eye we can choose to activate the picamera interface back. will it be also the case with this 64bit official release ?
I was always asking myself why the 64bits was not already official, because in many case I “feel” it faster ! And you can install so many cool things available only in 64 bits, Krita,.. I will test as fast as possible this official 64 bits release :-) Thank a lot for all the job done this last time it brings great improvements to the raspberry pi.

Reply to Aeluvidu

No, the legacy camera application (and picamera) will not work on 64-bit. The reason that its taken a while to get a 64 bit version going is related – we needed to get all the libcamera and V4L2 code up and running first, as the legacy camera and playback stuff will not work on 64-bit.

Reply to James Hughes

Thank you James for your answer, so I’m fixed. This is no problem indeed, I had already planned to invest time to master in the future the new lib-camera interface . And it will be ok when picamera2 will be out.

Reply to Aeluvidu

On my Pi4B+ , I have noticed that my CPU is at 1800MHZ even though i did not overclock the arm. (I checked the boot file to make sure i did not) Is this a new feature?

Reply to cody zavodsky

Good to hear this news. How does this affect people who have been using the 64bit option in config.txt?

Reply to Andrew

I’m pretty sure the ability to run the 32-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS under a 64-bit kernel is unaffected by the release of a fully 64-bit operating system. In particular, support for running the 32-bit OS on top of the 64-bit kernel should continue for some time.

Reply to Eric Olson

Hey there. Cool to hear you’re getting prepared for ARM making cores with only 64-bit support now.
I was wondering about that 64-bit / 32-bit Chromium support. Putting aside it being a shame there’s no obvious way to have both installed at once, how does it work? Can we mix and match stuff? Especially in light of the above…

Reply to stan423321

ARM don’t make any cores, they are a fabless technology licenser.

Reply to Anders

I see that the “base” 64bit and “Lite” 64bit are available. What is the timing on the “full” version? I presume it is awaiting completion of 64bit libraries, and related applications… Do we have a SWAG at the ETA?

Reply to MeiPi

Strangely a CM4 that should contain a BCM2711 reports to be a BCM2835. Any idea how to fix this?
pi@nas64-6:~ $ grep Hardware /proc/cpuinfo
Hardware : BCM2835
pi@nas64-6:~ $ tail -4 /proc/cpuinfo
Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : c03140
Serial : 100000004e436***
Model : Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 Rev 1.0
pi@nas64-6:~ $ uname -a
Linux nas64-6 5.10.92-v8+ #1514 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 17 17:39:38 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Reply to Michael Holzer

Very nice. I have been using the 64 bit beta since the start. I has worked well. I also use recent versions of Kali Linux which also work very well. My 64 bit use case is experimentation with 64 bit Arm assembly.
v/r
Jeff

Reply to Jeff Greer

After upgrading to 64-bit and installing the 32-bit Chromium, I am unable to login to my google account in Chromium to sync my settings.

Reply to Emcommer

That’s something Google have decided to do… Nothing we can do about it

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

Is Raspberry Pi Desktop 64 bit for amd64 on Debian Bullseye coming? Soon, maybe Pi Day? This year is looking like those distros which have not yet done so will drop 32 bit support, unless they have a large legacy base.

Reply to Brian Inglis

My Minecraft server runs on 8GB RPi4 with 64-bit Ubuntu. Will it run more smoothly on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS?

Reply to RPG

HAPPY! Here I go..just dug out my PI – 4 that I didn’t use for awhile and stumbled onto this NEWS!

Reply to Rog

Will this mean that (hardware unaccelerated) Docker images can be built once for both a VM running on the Apple Mac M1 (ARM64 architecture) and the Raspberry Pi 64-bit OS (ARM64 architecture)?

Reply to Timmer

Congratulations for finally announcing official 64bit version out of beta.
Please do, however, consider writing out WidevineCDM situation clearly in your download page[1] and hopefully in the future provide us with better solution to either fix the situation or to provide us with 32bit chromium default to not worry about that situation.

[1] https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

Reply to JJ

Great news! I’ve been looking forward for this to get Calibre working. I’ve got it installed and am reinstalling additional apps I’ve used before. Next I need to remember out how to get my Pi 400 USB mic and webcam working again. Should I head to the forums or is there a quick fix?
Thanks, again. Dale

Reply to Dale

I was waiting for this „64 bit RPi OS has exited beta stadium“ announcement for a long time – that’s a great message!

Some applications I use or want to use need 64 bit OS, some even kicked support for 32 bit. To name a few:
– Nextcloud News app
– OnlyOffice app for Nextcloud
– CollaboraOnline for Nextcloud
– MediaDC app for Nextcloud

And I saw a few other FOSS projects ending support for 32 bit OS the last year.

As I use my current system since the installation back in 2013 (Squeeze -> Wheezy -> Jessie -> Stretch -> Buster -> Bullseye) and never reinstalled it, I‘m now looking for a really good, meaning very detailed „migration guide“ to reinstall the OS based on x64.

Reply to e-raser

Apart for a few special cases the 32 Bit version is more powerful than 64 Bit. And do not forget that in 64 Bit all addresses require the double space!

Reply to Irgendeiner

Is it possible to update Raspbian 32bit with the 64bit beta without erasing the SD card?

Reply to Dénes Temleitner

Yes if you have the skills, plenty of time and patience, but even a seasoned RasPier ran into major roadblocks, search the Forum.

FYI it no longer Beta Status….

Reply to MW

Funny or rather sad we had this possible , and done on a True 12bit OCS Graphics Amiga. With a PPC ,, True 64bit.Worked like a charm.Still cant even beat an ocs amiga so sad.

Reply to Constantine 12th

I want to run Boinc on all my 64 bit Pi’s and the 64 bit OS isn’t recognized by any of the Boinc groups. I’ve had to return to 32 bit Pi OS because of this. The aarch 64 label is a non-starter for them. Any ideas to circumvent this?
Thanks
John

Reply to John LeRoy

Is there any plan to release a version of the 64-bit OS with recommended software? (For instance, somehow, the LibreOffice pre-installed on the 32-bit one with recommended software looks more polished than installing it from Add/Remove Software in 64-bit?)

Reply to Si Lam

Much appreciated for all the hard work that went into this release! :)
I wish everybody on the Raspberry Pi team a bright future. May all the supply chain woes vanish quickly, like frost when a warm sunny morning hits it.

Reply to Esbeeb

Great stuff folks!
I’m looking forward to getting XMRIG installed so I can mine Monero with idle CPU cycles on my RPi 3 NextDNS server, XMRIG ARM requires 64 bit.

Reply to Leigh de Paor

Tried the 64bit on my RPi 3B+. Works fine, but (there is always a but) videos played with VLC are jerking. Tried a number of settings, but still. With the 32bit version no issues. Is there anything I made wrong?

Reply to Heiko

I have the same issue with vlc and it’s driving me nuts.
The 64-nit version opens and closes multiple windows before playing any file, no matter what codecs. From the command line you can see hundreds of error lines.
OTOH the 32-bit version works flawlessly, with no errors displayed.

Reply to Pau

How can I install it on Ubuntu 21.10 AARCH64?

Reply to Roy Ash

gqrx now runs on Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W
also NRSC5 compiled tool works also

Reply to James Knox

With 64bits, don’t forget to increase the *swap space*.
Edit /etc/dphs-swapfile :
CONF_SWAPSIZE=4096
CONF_MAXSWAP=4096
This helps a lot with some programs.

Reply to HB

I have a Pi4 with the 32bit version. i have many applications installed (including Home assistant). I would like to install the 64bit version of the OS but I don’t want to lose my data, How can it be done?
Thanks to all

Reply to Francesco Mongelli

This is not supported

Reply to Gordon Hollingworth

I am sad to say that using the 64bit OS on a RPi400 is not very successful especially if you created an external SSD to run it from … get an incomplete start up followed by “Press <enter’ and then all previously added panel items are gone as well as the selected picture navigating through: Desktop Preferences -> Picture -> . Not sure if the eeprom software or SSD or what is at fault.
On the positive side – it seems a bit faster, but also when you open more than one tab in the Chrome browser, it get stuck [faster :-) ]

Reply to Kobus

The sound quality from the 3.5mm jack (Pi 4B/4GB) with the 64-bit OS is surprisingly very very good!
1. Logout command supported only on 64-bit lite
2. Bluetoothctl now supports discoverable-timeout
However, no info on how to pair bluetooth devices without passkeys.
Overall, awesome!!!

Reply to Ravindra

The desktop did not show with the actual images provided. Not on my rp4 nor on my Pi400. I have to change vc4-kms-v3d to vc4-fkms-v3d in config.txt bevor i boot is up! Then it works as normal. Why this is not standard in config.txt is beyond me.

Reply to Slasher006

The 64 bit version of RaspOS is fantastic! I’m using a Pi4 (8GB) as a file server/NAS/Samba/NFS/MythTV/Logitech Media Server connected to a Yottamaster 4 DAS (Directly Attached Storage) via USB 3. System is headless with OpenMediaVault as the ‘GUI’ (although I have the X11 libraries so I can run Synaptic and MythTV Setup via ssh -Y). I can max out the 100MB/s connection although it took a bit of tuning. RAID is SW via MDADM and boot is from an SSD via USB on the DAS. I will never go back to x86 for a small server! I just wish there were more powerful ARM or RISC-V based laptops (similar to Apple M1 – like Pinebook Pro but faster). Maybe RPi could go RISC-V in the future? Could we have a proper Mini or Pico-ATX carrier board (with ATX power connector to fit in Mini/Pico ATX case) for the CM4 with 4+ SATA ports for building NAS/Server systems? Anyway, fantastic job everyone and the Pi4 (8GB) is a fantastic little computer!

Reply to Joanne Cunliffe

My use case is replacing my ZenBook before my other, older intel-based laptop dies. Mostly, I write prose, code, browse the web, and consume media. So far, my rpi400 has been disappointing. But with the latest 64 bit OS, I’m seeing something I could realistically use. After using it for several days. I realized that I haven’t even enabled overclocking yet. I think this will work.
On the other hand, the UX has really gone downhill. I am unable to configure the UI – some LXDE utilities don’t even launch. It is so bad, I would not agree that this is beta software. I would place it more pre-alpha.

Reply to bruce davidson

Love having 64 bit. Have a, what is probably known, issue. Installed system. Set up the time, beforehand, for Indiana in the United States. Well, didn’t take place. Changed it on the system through the menu options and it still didn’t take place. Time was for Adak. So went to the Command-Line and set it up. All is working fine now. Just a note for working on this. Still happy to have such a system!

Reply to Nick Masters

WINE doesn’t work in 64 Bits, any help ?

Reply to UmaYakuY

I had numerous issues with ubuntu and in general a bad os stability with random crashes due to usb. Therefore, I decided to replace ubuntu by raspi OS and it’s amazing. I have just noticed that videos based on DRM are also working flawlessly. I am quite impressed with the job realized by the team.
Congratulations and long life to raspi os !

Reply to Lionel

how do you get minecraft pi edition on it? it doesn’t have it pre-installed, and it doesnt work if I try to install it through terminal. How do I get it to work?!

Reply to I.B

This worked in order to get libwidevine working on arm64, but hardware acceleration and and WebGL were disabled on chromium (checking via chrome://gpu). The GPU was crashing on boot looking for libGLESv2 files on the wrong path:
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libGLESv2.so: Can not open the shared object file: No file or folder of this type
I managed to fix this by running a similar command than the above for libgles-mesa:
sudo apt install libgles2-mesa:armhf
sudo apt install libgles2-mesa-dev:armhf
I couldn’t find much information anywhere about this problem, but it fixed for me, now I can see previously disabled GPU features enabled when I check chrome://gpu

Reply to Victor